Clean eating has many benefits including a stronger immune system, increase in energy, better mood and maintaining a healthy body weight. Some may ask what exactly is clean eating? Clean eating consists of consuming more whole foods and limiting processed/packaged foods.
10 Rules of Clean Eating
- Do not eat C.R.A.P. This acronym stands for chemicals, refined sugars and flours, artificial sweeteners/colors/flavors and lastly preservatives.
- Control portion size.
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water. You should aim for a gallon of water daily. If you cannot reach this goal, start by drinking at least half of your body weight in fluid ounces daily.
- Prioritize plants. Vegetables provide the body with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber. All of these help with proper digestion.
- Try Organic. When you consume organic foods, you are eating the cleanest kind of food that has been grown/raised.
- Limit packaged foods. Foods that are packaged are highly processed. Instead of eating canned/packaged foods. Try getting fresh fruit/vegetables out the produce sections. Get your meats from the butcher area so that it is freshly cut.
- Choose foods with healthy fats. Limit foods that are highly saturated and avoid foods with trans-fat. Try fatty fish such as salmon, avocados or nuts. These are usually forms of healthy fats.
- Don't starve yourself. Eat small, healthy snacks, in between meals. Make sure you are still eating enough calories during the day.
- Cook at home. Cooking will eliminate harsh ingredients. When you cook, you choose exactly what goes into your body.
- Enjoy each bite. Clean eating does not have to be boring. Make your food tasteful/flavorful so that eating is healthy and enjoyable.